Western Washington is expected to experience some of the warmest temperatures of the year this weekend.
The National Weather Service issued a special weather statement today:
TEMPERATURES WILL CLIMB WELL INTO THE 80S ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA ON SATURDAY...WITH HIGHS IN THE LOWER TO MID 90S LIKELY ALONG THE I-5 CORRIDOR SOUTH OF OLYMPIA AND IN THE CENTRAL CASCADE VALLEYS. THE COAST WILL EXPERIENCE TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 70S TO MID 80S...WITH FARTHER INLAND SITES CLIMBING TO NEAR 90. THE HOT SPELL WILL BE CAUSED BY THE COMBINATION OF HIGH PRESSURE ALOFT AND LOW LEVEL OFFSHORE FLOW.
ONSHORE FLOW WILL RETURN ON SUNDAY. THE COAST WILL BE 10 TO 15 DEGREES COOLER ON SUNDAY OR IN THE UPPER 60S TO UPPER 70S. IN CONTRAST...THE INTERIOR WILL LIKELY BE A COUPLE OF DEGREES WARMER. THIS WILL PUT MAX TEMPERATURE RECORDS IN JEOPARDY OF BEING BROKEN OR TIED AT SOME PLACES. THE FORECAST HIGH FOR SEATTLE FOR SUNDAY... THE 5TH...IS 90 DEGREES. THE RECORD FOR THE 5TH IS 89 DEGREES.
THE WARMEST DAY OVER THE INTERIOR OFTEN ENDS UP ON THE DAY WHEN THE LOW LEVEL FLOW TRANSITIONS FROM OFFSHORE TO ONSHORE. DAYTIME TEMPERATURES WILL RETURN TO NEAR NORMAL ON MONDAY.
The NWS advises people to limit time in the sun and stay hydrated.
Here's the forecast for University Place, according to the NWS:
- This Afternoon: Sunny with a high near 79. North wind around 8 mph.
- Tonight: Clear, with a low around 55. North northeast wind 6 to 8 mph.
- Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 87. North wind around 7 mph.
- Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 57. Northeast wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 89. North wind around 6 mph.
- Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 59.
- Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.
- Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75.
- Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56.
- Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 71.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.